Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sylvan

Word of the Day Saturday, March 27, 2010

sylvan

\SIL-vuhn\ , adjective;

1. Of or pertaining to woods or forest regions.
2. Living or located in a wood or forest.
3. Abounding in forests or trees; wooded.
noun:
1. A fabled deity or spirit of the woods.
2. One that lives in or frequents the woods or forest; a rustic.

"You are aware of the abundance of female attention that is directed towards you, right?" she asked.

An easy smile broke out on his face, "Well, yeah," he replied.

"Good. I'd hate to see all that effort wasted on an oblivious male," she teased.

He looked at her for a long moment, "Does it bother you?" he asked.

"Yes and no," she answered glancing around the secluded, sylvan cottage they had rented for a weekend get-away. Their first weekend out of town together. "I mean, it represents all the other choices you have. And lord knows you have choices. I have found a piece of happiness with you and all that choice means that someday you might change your mind about spending time with me. But really that doesn't matter so much," she continued.

"Really? How can that not matter? The idea of losing a piece of happiness?" he asked, a frown mark deepening between his brows.

"Because, it exists, and it can't be changed. We already experienced that happiness and we can't undo it. So we can't loose it either. We can choose to make more happiness together, or we can choose to make happiness without one another," she said simply.

"I like that. That you can't loose any of your happiness. Although it seems rather Pollyanna-ish. Are you really able to choose happiness in all the moments of your life?" he asked seriously.

"If you are asking if I'm always happy, the answer is no. At one point in my life I had literally lost everything I cared about. That meant anything to me. That is a dark place to be. It took me a long time to decide to build my life back up around the beliefs that truly mattered to me."

"So, you try to enjoy every moment," he replied, his beautiful chin nestled into his palm.

"It is more than that. It is more like I try to have the moment I'm experiencing now be the most important thing. Not to let my uncertainly of the future, or the darkness of my past affect my enjoyment of today," she said.

"That sounds almost spiritual," he murmured.

She shrugged, "Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that sultry brunette that was at dinner the other night? The one with the double D's bursting out of her dress? She may entice you later, or she may not. I'm just not going to make myself unhappy worrying about it. Especially now worry about it enough to ruin the enjoyment of that roast duck and amazing bottle of wine that we had."

"Wow, double D's?" he asked grabbing her foot and pulling her across the sheets, "And you didn't even point them out to me? I would have gotten enjoyment out of that," he murmured.

"Eh, they were fake, totally not your style," she murmured back against his lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment