Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Slake

Word of the Day Friday, April 02, 2010

slake

\SLAYK\ , verb;

1. To satisfy; to quench; to extinguish; as, to slake thirst.
2. To cause to lessen; to make less active or intense; to moderate; as, slaking his anger.
3. To cause (as lime) to heat and crumble by treatment with water.
intransitive verb:
1. To become slaked; to crumble or disintegrate, as lime.

She glared at him from across the desk.

"What Gloria?" Marvin snapped glaring back at her.

"You set this all up somehow! You ruined me!" her hands trembled with fury, clutching her black patent leather hand bag. "It was all some elaborate plan!"

He stared at her in disbelief, then smirked and pulled open his bottom desk drawer with his toe. "Do you drink bourbon?" he asked.

"No," she spat at him.

"Good, more for me," he replied filling a tall tumbler with the bottle.

"You didn't answer me!" she snapped.

"What can I say to that?!? I had some crazy elaborate plan to get my wife to leave me? My marriage, the only thing I have ever really cared about in entire life, is over! With no chance of reconciliation. Why yes, you raging cunt, I planned all that out just to screw you over!" he gasped drinking heavily from the tumbler of bourbon.

"We never had an affair!" she yelled at him, "How can she have proof of that!"

Marvin buried his face in his hands. "She says she has pictures….of something. My lawyer has seen them and he says they are damning."

"I never let you put your filthy hand on me!" she yelled again.

He stared at her. "My reputation is ruined. My life is falling apart. You have to fight the rumors!" now she was pleading with him.

"What, or you are going to blackmail me?" he asked bitterly. She looked stung for a moment. "You know, this never would have happened if you hadn't gotten greedy. $200,000! I should have just let you out my grandfather. That is what tipped her off. The funny business with the accounting. She kept track of all that you know." Marvin explained growing more and more animated.

"No, it was you insisting on meeting up at hotels. That is what gave the wrong impression. The gossip circles are tearing me apart. I have been blacklisted all across town," she went on ignoring everything he had said.

"Why don't you just come out with the truth? Tell everyone that you were blackmailing me, not fucking me." he said bluntly draining the last of the bourbon in the glass.

"I will not be accused of blackmail on top of this affair scandal," she retorted.

"Accused?" Marvin asked dryly.

"Let me tell you what you are going to do Marvin Cohen," she hissed standing up from her chair.

Marvin slammed the bourbon bottle down on his desk slaking the momentum she was gathering for her tirade.

"No! Let me tell you what you are going to do. You are going to take that $200,000 I gave you and you are going to go away. You are going to let me and my wife divorce, messily I might add, with my ex-wife taking me to the cleaners, I might add. And that will be the end of all of this," he said.

"Why the hell would you ever imagine that I would agree to that?" she asked letting out peals of laughter.

Marvin settled back in his chair ready to toss out his trump card.

No comments:

Post a Comment